You can create product fields to store additional information about your plans, services, non-subscription offerings, or usage types. For example:
- You create a product field called Reseller ID. You can then specify that for the "Silver Monthly" plan, the Reseller ID is ABC123 and for the "Gold Monthly" plan, the Reseller ID is DEF456.
- You can create product fields to categorize or customize plans for display to each customer based on criteria such as the customer's location or language.
Note: Product fields cannot be updated at the individual customer level. Product fields can only be updated at the level of functional entities such as plans, services, non-subscription offerings, or usage types. Only Plan level product fields are available in Event Notifications.
Creating a Product Field
Getting Here: Click Configuration > Client Settings > Product Fields
- Click New.
- In the Field Name field, enter a brief descriptive name for the field. Example: Reseller ID.
Note: If a product field is in use, you cannot change its field name.
- In the Description field, enter an explanation of the information that will be stored in the field. Example: Reseller ID for the product.
- From the Input Type drop-down, select the method by which information can be entered in the field:
- Checkbox: Allows you to select one or more items from a group of displayed choices.
- Radio: Allows you to select one item from a group of displayed choices.
- Select: Allows you to select one item from a list.
- Text: Allows you to enter text in multiple, separate fields.
- Textarea: Allows you to enter a single block of text in one field.
Note: If the input type is Text, select the type of information that can be entered in the field from the Data Type drop-down:
- From the Data Type drop-down, select the type of data that can be entered in the field:
- Date: to enter a date in the field.
- Number: to enter a number in the field.
- String: Allows you to enter a combination of dates, number, and/or special characters in the field.
- In the Minimum Number of Selections field, enter the minimum number of entries that must be made in the field.
- In the Maximum Number Selections Allowed field, enter the maximum number of entries that can be made in the field.
Note: Minimum and maximum selection applies only to the Text, Select, and Checkbox presentation modes.
- Click the Allowed Values tab.
Note: The Allowed Values tab only appears if the field's presentation mode is Select, Radio, or Checkbox.
- If you are creating a new product field, click Add Value to add choices that users can select from. If you are editing a field that is not in use, you can add, edit, or remove values.
- Enter each value that users should be able to select when they fill in this field. Click the red "x" to delete a value.
- Click the Object Types tab. The object types with which the product field can be associated (Plan, Inventory Item (non-subscription offering), Service Code, and Usage Type) display with Required and Active drop-down fields for each type.
- From the Required drop-down, select Yes or No to specify whether this field must be completed when users add or edit the selected object type(s).
- From the Active drop-down, select Yes or No to specify whether the product field should be displayed on the screens for the selected object type(s).
- From the Plan Instance drop-down, select an option to determine whether the product field should be saved on the plan instance or whether it should be set in the product catalog and apply to all instances of that plan with the same value across any accounts to which the plan is assigned.
Available options include:
- For a plan in the product catalog
- For a specific unit of a plan assigned to an account
- For a specific instance of a plan assigned to an account
- If you wish for these fields to display on statements, check the Display on Statements? box for the corresponding object type.
Note: Selecting this option mandates selecting an associated Field Number.
- Select the Field Numbers that correspond to the fields used on your statement templates.
Note: You need to add the field to the statement template for it to display on a statement.
- Click Save.
The new or updated product field is available for you to associate with the product type(s) that you specified.
You can edit a product field at any time by clicking that product field.
The product field information displays on a new screen.